Thursday, January 19, 2012

Project 52 - Week 1

I reaveal what lies below the surface.
This exercise challenged me.   I landed on and am going to stick with this vision statement for a while to see how it affects my shooting.    For the image assignment, I liked my idea, which was to show something inside a drop of water.  I decided on a heart, and made the heart cut out in black foam and mounted it to my flash with a red gel.   I put a water drop on a piece of foam and set it up to take the shot.

Ran into quite a few problems.   First, Sony NEX-5n is inferior to trigger a flash.   Second, the main macro lens I have is a Pentax lens that I can use with my NEX (would have been better off using the Pentax K100D).  This lens says "macro" on it, but I'm not sure how you can get close enough to anything to take a photo when the minimum focusing distance is too long.   I couldn't get close enough to the water droplet, and thus the heart looks much more like a fire than a heart.   Doesn't look bad, but the resolution is so low because I had to crop it significantly.

Lesson learned:   Buy a real macro prime lens for my Nikon, so I can use my Pocket Wizards.

No comments: