Saturday, October 27, 2007

language goals for the rest of the semester

So, I've been a little disorganized with language learning this semester, but during the last couple weeks, I have been trying to develop some good strategies for learning language. I think it will be good to try to give myself some basic goals. I've really wanted to get back into learning Japanese for several reasons, so I might as well try to do it the hard way. Actually I think that learning the kanji will also help a lot with remembering chinese characters in general. All of the characters will be of the traditional variety because I strongly dislike simplified.

Uyghur / uyghur tili

- Each week learn between 50 and 100 new vocabulary words starting with the ones that I wrote in my notebook this summer (200-400 per month)
- I would like to focus on getting more verbs learned so I have less trouble with them. Since verbs are all conjugated exactly the same (without exception) it should be easy enough


Chinese / 中文

- Keep up with class, but retain characters from previous weeks by reviewing each one lesson set of vocab each day. New vocab is approximately 20-30 characters a week.
- Learn new vocab that Yen-Yi teaches me on Monday and chatting throughout the week.

Japanese / 日本語

- Learn the writing of approximately 100 Kanji per week (of the 2000 general use Kanji). Writing from the english meaning only. No readings yet. 20 per day
- After around 4-5 weeks, I will begin to learn to read / write sentences. I will try 10 per day and increase as time goes on.

No comments: