Wednesday, February 27, 2008

News

So recent news:

I am hoping for the FLAS to get back to China this summer. We will see in the next week or two if that pulls through. If not, I may work for the summer, then try to head out somewhere to study either Mandarin or Japanese. As long as I can pull myself together financially.


This semester has been good. Slowly learning about the Quechua language we are documenting in field methods. I am focusing on causatives and topic/ focus in the language. It seems like there are a lot of similar structures to Uyghur. I dropped my sitting in on the Japanese class because I think I can progress further on my own. It was a good boost to get me back to where I was before.

I feel that Uyghur is getting better. I have been making a lot of improvement, but all the time, I just run into the wall of how much vocabulary I don't know! Frustrating, but hopefully it will get better over time. Listening to Uyghur about 20 minutes a day helps a lot.

I am starting to listen read the bible in mandarin to finally do my experiment to see if this works. I won't be able to devote 8 hours a day to it, but if I can do one or two, I should make some progress. If I can find some other bilingual mandarin books with the audiobooks, that would be great. It's just too hard. I've been searching so long. Maybe by the time I'm done "reading the bible in chinese" I can find some other bilingual books that are matching audio.

No comments: