Thursday, February 28, 2008

Searching

So over the last few months, I have been trying to do research and also to find some certain items that seem rare (read: Mandarin audiobooks; Chinese-English bilingual texts). I've struggled with the crap that Google has picked up over time as SEO folks have figured out how to exploit it. An acquaintance sent me a link to Searchlores.org which has proved itself to be a very useful information database on how to find information on the internet. There are tons of documents there, but I will point out a few of the more general interest ones.


  • Tips - General short term search strategies for finding something quickly.


  • Long Term Searching - Ideas for research over a longer period of time.


  • How to find books and texts - I've found this very useful for reading and looking at books online. Amazon & google are making this so much easier these days.

  • Exploiting the shallow deep web - This article discusses non-indexed (by search engines) databases of information.





I think this search engine is very peculiar: Kartoo. I would recommend that you check it out sometime.

No comments: