Thursday, June 18, 2009

Chicago - Day 1 (june 10)

I woke up at 7:00 to get ready to leave for the airport at 10 o'clock. Everything proceeded smoothly at the airport, and I made it to Chicago around 11:30. Then, I caught the blue line train to downtown to meet Hannah for lunch. It wasn't too tricky, but I found out when I arrived at the right stop that apparently cell phones are blocked underground, so I was frustrated for a few minutes while trying to figure out which street to exit the subway on--and as it turns out, it doesn't matter too much. When I came up the stairs I was able to call and then met up with Hannah. We walked to a place called Pastoral which is a sandwich, cheese & wine shop downtown. I got the Parisian sandwich, and it was delicious. The cheese on the sandwich was quite good, but I cannot remember the name. It was the best sandwich I've had in quite some time. I would even go so far as to say that it rivals Wheatfields here in Lawrence.






After Hannah went back to work, I went up to meet Peter & Tricia at their work to get a copy of the key to their apartment where I am staying. I took the brown line train up and got off at the stop. When I was leaving the station, it was in the middle of a neighborhood, so I was confused for a little while on which direction was north, but soon realized I was walking the right direction. Ten minutes later and I was at the church office where they work. Peter took a break and drove me to their apartment and got me situated. When he went back to work, I walked to a Jewel grocery store to buy some expensive things that are more difficult to bring on an airplane (such as razor blades, shampoo, etc) and granola bars. When I was walking around the streets around their apartment to see what was around, I heard someone say, "Joshua Shireman...?" I looked and it was my friend Ian who I have not seen for about 8 years since church camp in Colorado. We talked for a few minutes and said we should meet for lunch on Friday.

Peter had invited me to go to a BBQ that they were going to at night and since I didn't have any plans, I went with them. We ate hamburgers and played a card game and it was one of the most relaxing times I've had in a long time. It was a good start to the trip.



Nothing else too exciting happened. Got settled in.

No comments: