Friday, June 19, 2009

Chicago - Day 2 (June 11) Part one

I was supposed to meet Tue for dinner only because her work got busy and she couldn't catch the Blue Man Group show. I was talking to my friend Sarah and we decided to get lunch. I read about this cheap Indian restaurant on Devon that had good food. Sarah was a little wary, but when I told her the name--Ghareeb Nawaz--she said she had read about it and was willing to try it. The restaurant is named after an 8th century saint of India who cared for the poor, and the name literally means "Sustainer of the Poor". So we decided to meet up and beforehand I went to Beans & Bagels to read and drink an iced coffee. It's right under the Montrose stop on the brown line, so it is convenient to stay there when it's raining.
Reading @ Beans & Bagels

Sarah arrived at the coffeeshop and we headed on the train and bus to get to the restaurant. It was on Devon which is the Indian/Pakistani main street in Chicago. I didn't take any pictures of the area because it was raining, but i get get a couple shots of the restaurant.
The front of Ghareeb Nawaz

As you can see from the storefront above, a lot of meals are quite cheap. It seems that the vegetarian dishes are around $2 and the meat dishes are closer to $4-5. I ordered chicken biryani and two pieces of naan ($0.50 each), so it was about $5 in total. The dish of chicken was huge, much more than i should have eaten and the naan was quite large as well!


No comments: